IMPORTANT INTERNATIONAL ORGANIZATIONS
- Asian Development Bank
- Motto: Fighting poverty in Asia and the Pacific
- It has 67 member countries.
- Estd: 1966
- HQ: Manila, Philippines
Asia Cooperation Dialogue
- To promote Asian cooperation at a continental level and to help integrate separate regional organizations such as ASEAN, SAARC, the Gulf Cooperation Council, and the EAEU.
- It has 34 member countries including India.
- Estd: 2002
- Ministerial Meeting:
- 1st- Thailand (2002)
- 13th- Saudi Arabia (2014)
- 14th- Thailand (2016)
- 1st- Kuwait (2012)
- 2nd- Thailand (2015)
- 3rd- Iran (2018)
- Asia Europe Meeting
- It has 53 partners= 51 countries and two regional organizations
- The Asia Europe Foundation (ASEF) – an institution established by ASEM with headquarters in Singapore.
- Estd: 1996
- Summit: biennial
- 1st: Thailand (1996)
- 11th: Mongolia (2016)
- Brazil, South Africa, India and China
- The four committed to act jointly at the Copenhagen climate summit, including a possible united walk-out if their common minimum position was not met by the developed nations.
- Estd: 2009
- Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation
- It aims to promote economic cooperation among South and South-East Asia countries.
- Members: Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Myanmar, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Thailand (7)
- Estd: 1997
- HQ: Dhaka, Bangladesh
- 1st- Thailand (2004)
- 2nd- India (2008)
- 3rd- Myanmar (2014)
- Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa
- South Africa was included in 2010.
- 1st- Russia
- 2016- India
- Conference on Interaction and Confidence- Building measures in Asia
- It has 26 member states.
- Secretariat: Almaty, Kazakhstan
- Estd: 1999
- 1st: Kazakhstan (2002)
- 4th: China (2014)
- East Asia summit
- Members: 18 countries
- Estd: 2005
- 1st: Malaysia (2005)
- 11th: Laos (2016)
- Members: Brazil, India, Germany, Japan
- They support each other’s bids for permanent seats in the UNSC.
- It is an international forum for governments and central bank Governors from 20 major economies.
- Members: 19 individual countries + EU
- Estd: 1999
- Summit: (of heads of states or govt.)
- 1st- US (2008)
- 11th – China (2016)
- 12th – Germany (2017)
- 13th – Argentina (2018)
- India, Brazil, South Africa
- It aims to promote South-South cooperation and build consensus on issues of international importance
- Estd: 2003
- 1st: Brazil (2006)
- 5th: South Africa (2011)
- Indian Ocean Rim Association
- Members– 21
- Estd: 1997
- HQ– Ebene Cyber City, Mauritius
- Members: India, Thailand, Myanmar, Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam (6)
- Estd: 2000
- Ministerial Meetings
- 1st- Laos (2000)
- 6th- India (2012)
- New Development Bank
- The treaty was signed in 2014 and came into effect in 2015.
- HQ: Shanghai, China
- South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation
- Members– Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan, Sri Lanka (8)
- HQ– Kathmandu, Nepal
- Estd. – 1985
- 1st- Bangladesh
- 2016- Pakistan
- Shanghai Cooperation Organization
- It was established in 1996 as Shanghai Five with members China, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Russia, Tajikistan.
- Uzbekistan was added in 2001 and the organization was renamed as SCO.
- India and Pakistan are expected to become members by 2017.
- HQ– Beijing, China
- 1st- China (Heads of State- 2001); Kazakhstan (Heads of Government- 2001)
- 2016- Uzbekistan (Heads of State); Kyrgyzstan (Heads of Government)
- 2017- Kazakhstan (Heads of State)