- Apartheid means separation on the basis of race.
- The African National Congress-led the struggle against apartheid. Its leader Nelson Mandela fought the apartheid system and in 1994 succeeded in making South Africa a democratic country, in which people of all races were considered equal.
Elements of a democracy
- In a democracy, people make the decisions.
- Through voting in elections, people elect leaders to represent themselves.
- The leaders have to take decisions on behalf of the people, keeping in mind the interests of the people.
- The government is elected for a fixed period. It is five years in the case of India.
- Hence, the power of the government gets limited by regular elections.
- Many times, the government has to change its decisions because it is responsible to the people.
Also Read: GI Tag for Alphonso Mangoes Now
Other ways of participating
- People can express their views by organising dharnas, rallies, strikes, signature campaigns etc.
- Things that are unjust can be brought forward by means of newspapers, magazines and TV.
- People can organise themselves into social movements that seek to challenge the government and its functioning.
Need to resolve conflict
- The government is responsible for helping to resolve conflicts.
- Religious processions and celebrations can sometimes lead to conflicts.
- Sharing of river water between different states that the river passes through can become a source of conflict between states.
Equality and justice
- A democratic government should be committed to equality and justice.
- The government has to step in by providing special provisions for groups within society that are unequal.
Note: Want to share this story with someone? Just click on the icons below.