NSG was set up in 1984 as a Federal Contingency Deployment Force and was created by the Cabinet Secretariat under the National Security Guard Act, 1986.
- Its role is to tackle all facets of terrorism in the country when the State Police and other Central Police Forces cannot handle the situation.
- It is headed by an IPS officer.
- It is under the administrative control of MHA.
- It has two complementary elements:
- The Special Action Group (SAG)- consists of Army personnel.
- The special Ranger Group (SRG)-consists of personnel drawn from Central Para Military Forces/State Police Force
All the personnel are on deputation.
- It provides a second line of defence to the nation and also possess latest technologies.
- Its primary duties are:
- Neutralisation of terrorist threats.
- Handling hijacking situations in air and on land.
- Bomb disposal
- Engaging and neutralizing terrorists in specific situations.
- Hostage rescue.