- The Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchayee Yojana (PMKSY) has been formulated to extend the coverage of irrigation ‘Har Khet ko pani’ and improving water use efficiency ‘More crop per drop’ in a focused manner with end to end solution on source creation, distribution, management, field application and extensive activities.
- The PMKSY is a consolidation of schemes viz.
- Accelerated Irrigation Benefit Programme (AIBP) of the Ministry of Water Resources, River Development & Ganga Rejuvenation (MoWR, RD&GR).
- Integrated Watershed Management Programme (IWMP) of Department of Land Resources (DoLR).
- The On-Farm Water Management (OFWM) of Department of Agriculture and Cooperation (DAC).
- The scheme was approved for implementation across the country with an outlay of Rs. 50,000 crore in five years.
Also Read: Peninsular Rivers
The major objectives of PMKSY are:
The overreaching vision of Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchayee Yojana (PMKSY) is to ensure access to some means of protective irrigation to all agricultural farms in the country, to produce ‘per drop more crop’, thus bringing much desired rural prosperity.
- Achieve convergence of investments in irrigation at the field level.
- Enhance the physical access of water on the farm and expand the cultivable area under assured irrigation.
- Improve on-farm water use efficiency to reduce wastage of water and increase availability both in duration and extent.
- Integration of water source, distribution and its efficient use, to make the best use of water through appropriate technologies and practices.
- Enhance the adoption of precision irrigation and other water-saving technologies (More crop per drop).
- Enhance recharge of aquifers and introduce sustainable water conservation practices by exploring the feasibility of reusing treated municipal waste water for peri-urban agriculture.
- Attract greater private investment in the precision irrigation system.
- The scheme also aims at bringing concerned Ministries/Departments/Agencies/Research and Financial Institutions engaged in creation/use/recycling/potential recycling of water, under a common platform, so that a comprehensive and holistic view of the entire “water cycle” is taken into account and proper water budgeting is done for all sectors namely, household, agriculture and industries.
About the scheme
- The programme architecture of PMKSY is to adopt a ‘decentralized State level planning and project execution’ structure that will allow States to draw up their own irrigation development plans based on District Irrigation Plan (DIP) and State Irrigation Plan (SIP).
- The DIP will have a holistic developmental perspective of the district outlining medium to long term developmental plans integrating three components namely, water sources, distribution network and water use application of the district to be prepared at two levels – the block and the district.
- All structures created under the schemes will be geotagged.
- It will be operative as a convergence platform for all water sector activities including drinking water & sanitation, MGNREGA, application of science & technology etc. through a comprehensive plan.
Also Read: Class VI- Chapter 2- Longitudes
- The scheme is being implemented by the Ministries of Agriculture, Water Resources and Rural Development.
- The Ministry of Rural Development mainly undertakes rainwater conservation, construction of farm pond, water harvesting structures, small check dams and contour bunding etc.
- MoWR, RD &GR undertakes various measures for creation of assured irrigation source, construction of diversion canals, field channels, water diversion/lift irrigation, including the development of water distribution systems.
- Ministry of Agriculture promotes efficient water conveyance and precision water application devices like drips, sprinklers, pivots, rain-guns in the farm “(Jal Sinchan)”, construction of micro-irrigation structures to supplement source creation activities, extension activities for the promotion of scientific moisture conservation and agronomic measures.
Also Read: Indian River System
Monitoring the scheme
- The programme will be supervised and monitored at the national level by an Inter-Ministerial National Steering Committee (NSC) constituted under the Chairmanship of the Prime Minister with the Union Ministers from the concerned Ministries.
- A National Executive Committee (NEC) will be constituted under the Chairmanship of Vice Chairman, NITI Aayog to oversee the programme implementation, allocation of resources, inter-ministerial coordination, monitoring & performance assessment, addressing administrative issues etc.
- At the state level, the scheme is to be administered by a State Level Sanctioning Committee (SLSC) chaired by the Chief Secretary of the respective State.The committee will have the authority to oversee the implementation and progress of the scheme and to sanction the projects.
- At the district level, there shall be a district level implementation committee for ensuring last mile coordination a the field level.
Note: Want to share this story with someone? Just click on the icons below.