TOPIC: Various Security forces and agencies and their mandate.
- The NATGRID project was conceived by former Home Minister P. Chidambram in the wake of 26/11 Mumbai attack and is yet to be operationalized.
- It was conceived to bolster India’s counter terrorism capabilities.
- The NATGRID project entails combining 21 sensitive databases related to domains such as banks, credit cards, cell phone usage, immigration records, motor vehicle registrations, Income Tax records and National Crime Records Bureau into a single database for access by authorized officers from 10 central agencies like RAW (Research & Analysis Wing), IB (Intelligence Bureau), CBI (Central Bureau of Investigation), DRI (Directorate of Revenue Intelligence) and ED (Enforcement Directorate).
- It is basically a data transfer tool that helps in giving a complete profile of the suspect to the investigating agency.
- It will help identify, capture and prosecute terrorists and help prevent terrorists plots.
- The CEO of the NATGRID should be Master in Electronics, IT or equivalent with experience of working in the IT related field for at least 25 years.