TOPIC: Conservation, environmental pollution and degradation, environmental impact assessment
- IUCN was established in 1948 and includes both nations and NGOs.
- It is headquartered in Gland, Switzerland.
- It enjoys ‘Observer Status’ at UNGA.
- ‘A just world that values and conserves nature and biodiversity’- is its vision.
- Objective: Influence, encourage and assist societies throughout the world to conserve nature and to ensure that any use of natural resources is equitable and ecologically sustainable.
- It assesses the conservation status of species.
- It supports scientific research and manages field projects globally.
- It also brings governments, NGOs, UN agencies, companies and local communities together to develop and implement policy.
- It is the world’s oldest and largest global environmental network and enlists Nine categories:
- Critically Endangered
- Extinct in the wild
- Near Threatened
- Least Concern
- Data Deficient
- Not Evaluated
Read More: Climate Change Organisations