ITBP was established in the year 1962 in the wake of Indo-China war.
- It is responsible for security along India’s border with the Tibet Autonomous Region of China.
- It is headed by an IPS Officer.
- MHA is its administrative head.
- The personnel is professionally trained for a mountainous terrain.
- It is a multi-dimensional force as is evident from its primary functions:
- Vigil on the northern borders, detection and prevention of border violations, and promoting a sense of security among the local populace.
- Check illegal immigration, trans-border smuggling and crimes.
- Security to sensitive installations, banks and protected persons.
- Restore and preserve order in any area in the event of disturbance.
- Maintenance of peace in the country.
- It has also recently taken on disaster management roles and has carried out various rescue and relief operations.
- They also provide security to the embassy and consulates of India in Afghanistan.
- Provide security to pilgrims during their mansarover yatra.
- It conducts a large number of medical civic action programmes in remote border and terrorist affected areas to provide free and expert medical, health and hygiene care to the civilian population in remote villages.
Read More: Various Security forces and agencies and their mandate