Integrated, holistic approach to skill development
- The government brought skill development under one Ministry from 20 Ministries/Departments implementing over 50 skill development schemes/programmes.
- First ever comprehensive policy framework on skilling, the National Policy for Skill Development and Entrepreneurship was launched.
Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana (PMKVY)
- Will train 1 crore candidates in 4 years.
- National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC) has trained over 52.8 Lakh candidates since its inception in a major push to skill development.
- More than 7.45 crore small entrepreneurs receive collateral free loans worth more than 3.17 lakh crore under Mudra Yojana.
- To give voice to aspirations of millions of youngsters the government instituted the first of its kind policy framework for startups.
- Ease of Approvals, Mentoring, Tinkering Labs, Start-Up India fund constituted with a corpus of Rs.10,000 crore are prime features.
- 3.7 lakh school students given National Means-Cum-Merit Scholarship.
- 3.30 lakh scholarships granted to meritorious students of colleges in the last 3 years.
- 9.65 lakh school girls sanctioned incentive amount of 3000 each under National Scheme of incentive to Girls for secondary education.
- SC, ST, OBC scholarships are disbursed through DBT to actual beneficiaries.
To encourage the youth from Jammu & Kashmir to take advantage of the higher education opportunities outside the state. Thousands of students are taking courses in various reputed colleges.
Expansion of education facilities
- 7 new IIMs, 6 new IITs, 1 new IIIT, 2 IISERs, 1 NIT, 1 new Central University, 109 new KVs and 62 NVs have been established/ sanctioned.
- 10 new AIIMS to be set up in Andhra Pradesh, Maharashtra, West Bengal and Poorvanchal in UP, Assam, Himachal Pradesh, Jammu & Kashmir, Punjab, Tamil Nadu and Bihar.
- Medical Post-graduation Seats (MD/ MS/Diploma/DM/M.Ch.) have increased from 25,346 in 2014-15 to 36,703 in 2017-18. Similarly, Undergraduate Seats increased from 54,348 in 2014-15 to 65183 in 2016-17.
Note: Want to share this story with someone? Just click on the icons below.