CISF It was established in 1969.
- It is headed by an IPS officer.
- It comes under the administrative control of MHA.
- It started with an aim to provide integrated security cover to Public Sector Undertakings (PSUs). But over the years, it has become a premier multi skilled security agency providing security to major critical infrastructure installations like airports, seaports, power plants, sensitive government buildings, heritage monuments, Delhi Metro and nuclear as well as space establishments etc.
- Its services are being sought by the private sector as well. After the Mumbai terrorist attack in 2008, its mandate has been widened by the CISF (Amendment) Act, 2008 to provide direct security cover to the private sector for a fee.
- The Act also allows deployment of CISF to protect Indian missions abroad.
Read More: Various Security forces and agencies and their mandate.